We are constantly seeing advertisements on TV promoting cell phones and cell phones carriers with what they call great introductory offers if you sign up with them on their network.
Is it worth signing a one-year contract with a cell phone carrier?
Well that is a question that you need to answer for yourself, while the pricing may look attractive you need to consider if you will be using the phone on a regular daily basis. Ask your self the following:
· Do I need my cell phone for work?
· Will I be calling mainly friends and family?
· Will I be making out of state calls or international calls?
If the answer to the above number of questions is no, well prepaid cell phones could be your best choice. Prepaid cell phones are ideal for people who do not intend signing contracts and do not intend to use the cell excessively. There are many advantages and disadvantages with using this type of cell phone:
Advantages of using a prepaid cell phone:
· No credit check required
· No deposit required
· No monthly rental fee
· No termination fee if you decide not to use your phone again
· No service fee
· A large selection of phones available including camera cell phones
· Always in control of call costs
Disadvantages of using a prepaid cell phone:
· Calls and SMS Text will be more expensive per minute than using a bill phone
· You could run out of credit at a critical time that you need to make a call
· Some carriers will put a time limit on your credit (you will need to use it up within a certain time or else it will be classed as invalid)
Children with prepaid cell phones:
Always purchase a cell phone with low emissions for health and safety purposes. Children under the age of 7 are not recommended to using any type of cell phone.
If you like to keep tabs on your children and you feel a cell phone is a good safe idea, do not make the mistake that many parents do in giving a cell phone that has line rental. If you do this be very prepared for a large monthly bill every month from the mailman. It's like giving your child a large bag of candy and asking them not to eat them without it's really necessary. Prepaid cell phones are ideal for children, if their credit runs out, so be it, but you can always call or text them and it's then up to you what extra credit to allow.
It's very difficult for young children to budget wisely and kids will be kids so you need to careful when it comes to financing them a cell phone.
What are the highest costs involved with prepaid cell phones?
Be careful your credit can be ate up very very quickly. Camera cell phones are great fun and handy to have at times but if you are using a prepaid cell camera phone and want to text photos the cost can be very high per text. Also watch for roaming charges are these too can be very expensive. Always look for promotions and giveaways with no hidden charges.
Is getting credit easy?
Buying credit could not be easier. Most stores will sell credit for the different cell phone carriers and some stores have vending type machines where you can simply follow the instructions and top up your credit. You can also call your cell phone carrier (usually a toll free number) and purchase with your credit card. Credit issued as a long number. Simply type this into the correct section of your cell and that's all there is to it.
Prepaid cell phones in brief:
· A great idea for those of us who need to stay inline with our phone expenses.
· Very handy to have for emergencies with no rental charge.
· Ideal for children if you wish for them to carry a cell phone
· A good back up if you experience a problem with your house phone
Once again always look into the different cell phone carriers and their prepaid cell packages, not all are the same with some giving excellent starter packages.